The Arc recently released their New Strategic Framework for the Future, which is intended to be a guiding light for their work including advocacy, mobilization, public education, and the operation of their programs and services at the national, state, and local levels. The Arc worked tirelessly for two years engaging experts and stakeholders for vital input, perspectives, and opinions to inform the data-driven plan.
We celebrate The Arc and their clear action plan for continuing their mission to promote and protect the human rights of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) and actively support their full inclusion and participation in the community throughout their lifetimes.
The strategic plan outlines their four core goals of:
- Human Dignity – every member of society recognizes and respects the human dignity of people with I/DD.
- Self-Determination – people with I/DD are masters of their own lives and destinies, with help from family, friends, and other supporters if needed.
- Quality Supports – People with I/DD and their families have timely access to the quality supports and services they need and want to achieve a life of personal significance.
- Powerful Voice – The Arc is an even stronger, more diverse force for change, capable of wielding power with and on behalf of people with I/DD and their families at the local, state, and national levels.
To achieve their goals, The Arc focused on strategies to:
- Build the movement
- Speak truth to anyone who will listen
- Extend their reach
Within these strategies they further defined specific tactics to create real change. The COVID pandemic in 2020 has highlighted the disparities and vulnerabilities within systems that impact people with I/DD and their families. The Arc’s Strategic Plan comes at a critical time when the disability rights movement must continue to mobilize and work for change.
MediSked is a longtime supporter and partner of The Arc and we are proud to support an organization that is dedicated to ensuring people with I/DD are valued members of their communities, with the opportunity to realize their full potential in a future that is secure. MediSked was honored to be part of the process as a member of The Arc’s Long-Range Strategic Planning Committee. We look forward to seeing and supporting The Arc, their chapters, and the individuals and families they support as they advance these goals.