Welcome to 2019! With exactly one year until the updated deadline for implementation of Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) for personal care services, EVV will undoubtedly be a hot topic of conversation in 2019. We’d like to provide an EVV refresher and highlight some of the resources we’ve created to help you understand the transition.
What it is: A method of reducing fraud and abuse by electronically tracking the exact date, start and end times, type of service, and location of a visit.
What are the goals?
- Comply with the federal requirements (and some state mandates)
- Improve quality
- Increase accuracy
- Promote financial accountability
- Reduce risk for abuse and neglect
- Identify and prevent bad actors
- Promote opportunities for individuals to live in the community
EVV Regulatory Background
December 2016: 21st Century Cures Act becomes law, including the EVV mandate. Compliant EVV solutions must adhere to the statutory requirements listed below:
- Identify type of service being delivered
- Identify the individual being served
- Mark date of service
- Location of delivery of the service
- Identify individual providing the service
- Mark the times the service starts and end
Original implementation deadlines: Personal Care Services by January 1, 2019 | Home Health Services by January 1, 2023
May 2018: CMS releases CIB (Informational Bulletin) and FAQs to provide states with best practices and tips for implementation
July 2018: EVV Delay Law is passed (Public Law No: 115-222)
- Delays EVV requirement under 21st Century Cures Act for personal care services by one year (January 1, 2020)
- Timeline for home health care services remains the same (January 1, 2023)
- FMAP reductions still apply to new deadline
- Good-faith-effort exemption can delay reductions for an additional year
- Released additional guidance for states on designing their systems
MediSked has supported EVV since 2010 and is proud to offer an intuitive solution that combines the MediSked Connect Mobile capabilities with a Telephony solution for those who need it. Looking for an EVV solution or have questions? Request more information or a demo today!