Happy Earth Day! Here at MediSked we strive to be as eco-friendly as possible and are always thinking of new and creative ways to reduce our carbon footprint. As a software company, we are inherently eco-minded. Our mission is to drive efficiencies, generate innovations, and improve lives – but by switching to software solutions, organizations also drastically reduce the amount of paper waste they create.
We established a Green Committee several years ago, which spearheads the creative projects to diminish our impact on the environment and develop sustainability projects to build a brighter future. Some of our initiative have included:
- Purchasing reusable silverware and plates
- Educating staff with various campaigns for proper recycling techniques
- Providing separate recycling bins for the various types of recyclable materials
- Replacing keurig cups with commercial grade coffee stations
- Switching to a hybrid company car
- Installing eco-friendly hand dryers
- Investing in healthier cleaning products
- Coming soon, we are building a community garden
Changing behavior at the individual level is important, but companies can make a significant impact but making small changes within their offices. The process of educating employees about green behavior often carries into individual households as well. Many green initiatives don’t require any funding – they just need a shift in mindset and someone to lead the charge. The first step is evaluating the current process at your organization and identifying areas for change. I challenge you to take the first step to help improve our planet.
We only get one earth and we have a responsibility to treat it well. I hope you get to spend some of this earth day outside, reveling in the beauty of our planet.